Antique Safes/Antique VICTOR Combination Floor Safe

Victor Floor Safe
Victor Floor Safe  

Safe Pictures
Safe Pictures  
I have an old VICTOR floor model safe (see attached pictures). The lock on the inside set of doors was drilled open and thus destroyed.
The lock on the inside metal secure compartment is 'locked' open (cannot be locked and secured) and the key is missing.
There are two wooden drawers inside that have locks, but I am missing both keys.
Also, the back that covers the main combination lock and tumblers is missing.
I was wondering if you folks could help me with any or all of these issues?
Anything you might be able to help me with would be greatly appreciated!

Hi George,

Unfortunately your collage of photos comes up as a postage stamp photo, so I can't see any details.    I would be more than happy to look at your safe and items of interest, but will need MUCH better photos sent directly to me.

As far as the locks that you have, that are missing keys, any good locksmith shop should be able to make keys for your locks.    While the actual, original blanks may not be available, this doesn't mean that other blanks can't be modified to give you some working keys.    Worst case if you don't have a locksmith shop that can make the keys, you can always send them to me.   In most cases I can make the keys, though some may have to be hand made.

As for the damaged / missing lock on the "Day Doors" of the safe (secondary doors), chances are you are not going to find the exact lock needed to fit.    What this means is that you might have to obtain something fairly close and then fit the door to accept it.    This means filling the hole in the door for the nose of the lock, drilling a new one for the new lock, and drilling and tapping new mounting screw holes.

You mentioned that the lock for the day doors was "drilled open and thus destroyed".   Before you throw the baby out with the bath water, if you have the old lock for this door, how about we take a look at it to see if it can be repaired.   With the option of completely replacing it and retrofitting the door, it may be less of a problem to actually rebuild the lock, if you still have it.

As for the missing back cover on the lock for the outer door.    Make a new back cover.   You can either make it out of a steel plate, or you could make it out of Plexiglas if you wanted to be able to show of the inner workings of the lock.

In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.
If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 12mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos, unless they are very clear and of sufficient resolution.   Also, please don’t use online, internet photo drops as most of these also don’t allow me to easily access the photos for examination.   Send the pics directly to me, while this may be more work for you, it will make my job easier.

Please send all of the requested photos to:

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada