Antique Safes/Cleaning a safe

Question
Diebold Exterior
Diebold Exterior  

Diebold Inner Doors
Diebold Inner Doors  
Andy,
    I have a large 2 door Diebold safe from 1896 (I believe).  This safe still retains most of its original finish:  Oil paintings, pin striping, gold leaf, lettering, etc.  It is, however, VERY dirty from sitting around for nearly 120 years. Would you be able to advise me in a method of cleaning the painted and decorated surfaces without damaging the original finishes?
Thank You,
Doug

Answer
Hi Doug,

You can clean it just like you would your automobile.   Use a good grade of anti abrasive liquid soap and soft brushes or rags.    For the really hard debris, you can use "00" (double ought) steel wool, lightly.   If you are scrubbing hard enough to scratch the paint, you are scrubbing too hard.

Finish it off with a light coat of a good furnisher polish like pledge or a mineral oil, and wipe dry.    Using the mineral oil or pledge on a weekly basis will help keep it clean, and the oil will help to prevent rust from forming.

As always, practice on areas that are not easily seen, like the back of the safe, before moving on to areas that are of particular interest or display.

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)