Antique Safes/ISM Super Treasury

Question
Mike,

I'm looking at purchasing a used safe made by the Israeli manufacture ISM. Could you give you thoughts on the quality of ISM safes? I saw in the USA that this particular safe has a UL rating of TRTL30X6. Since it is used, what questions should I ask the seller prior to purchase?
Thank you for your help.
With kindest regards,

John

Answer
Hello John,

Thank you for your question.  My speciality is in British and European safes and as ISM safes are manufactured in Israel and not marketed in the UK, my knowledge is limited.  We also have pan European standards therefore UL standards are not very relevant here.

However, perhaps as long ago as the 1980's I was approached by the Israeli Trade Delegation in the UK and invited to head a company marketing ISM safes in Britain.  After talking to them I believed their expectations were unrealistic and declined.  They eventually appointed a friend of mine who supervised the delivery of a number of ISM safes and stored them in London.  

Unfortunately they were supplied without holes in the base to enable them to be anchored.  UK insurers require all safes weighing less than 1000kg to be bolted down to prevent removal.  When engineers began to drill through the bases they became concerned about their quality.  A short while later the ISM marketing agency closed down.  To my knowledge, ISM has not attempted to export products into the UK since.

I have looked at their website and today's TRTL-30x6 Super Treasury and Ultravault safes look impressive but if you are thinking of buying a used model, you need to know the date of manufacture as it seems they may have had major quality control problems in the past.

If you have found this answer useful, please take a moment to rate it.

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy  

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer