Antique Safes/John port safe

Question
Hi, I Have in my possession a john port safe its about 3 feet tall and cast iron, it says on the inside of the door 'John port safe n0.3 quality' (maybe wording is a bit different as i am citeing from memory). just wondered if you could tell me a little about its history and value etc etc?. Many thanks

Answer
Hi
It would always be best to have a picture but....it is likely to have bolts shooting both vertically and horizontally. A better quality safe from Victorian times, but nowadays not having either collectable or insurable value. At 3 foot, it is probably too heavy for most people to move, so the value is less than 200 - if you can find someone who can move it, but equally you may have to pay that much for it to be taken away.

Antique Safes

Tom Gordon