Antique Safes/Looking to find info about john tann safe

Question
Hello, I'm messaging from nova Scotia and I received a john tann London (list patentee c) after the passing if my grandfather, I haven't been able to find out any info about the safe or its history. The serial number is 12659.
It would be great if you could help out with some info or steer me in the right direction about the safe
Thanks for your time
Todd

Answer
Hello Todd,

Thank you for your question.

The Tann List C dates way back to the late Victorian era, far beyond my archives which start at List K.  However, if you are able to send a couple of pictures I will be able to tell you something about its age and some background on John Tann's history.  I would be helpful to have two pictures; one showing the entire front of the safe including the hinges, and one with the door open to reveal the door thickness and the bolt-work.  It is also worth looking for a serial number - possibly on the end of one of the moving bolts.

If it is easier,you can send pictures direct to info@mikepalmerconsultancy.co.uk

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer