Antique Safes/Old business safe

Question
Art\'s Safe
Art's Safe  
I have an old safe my husband put in his business office around 1944. I'm not sure who the manufacturer was. On the left front top corner it has 3 S's and then the words Security Safe Service Inc. .  To the right if the dial are the words deluxe. I can send more info if needed. I would like to know the value if any. It is in excellent condition. I am giving it to my son-in-law for his office but would love to know more about it. Thank you!

Answer
Hi Nancy,

Sorry but your safe probably isn't as old as you believe.    This is a late model Diebold or Herring-Hall-Marvin (HHM) safe.   Late being - late 1950's to early 1960's.

The SSS (Security Safe Service, Inc.) is simply a safe service company, locksmith or safe retailer - not a manufacturer.

The safe appears to be a fire resistive safe.   It is not a burglary resistive safe.    These safes were designed for personal use, or for a small office, to provide protection for documents from FIRE (heat) only!    Chances are it is a "Class C - fire safe", which was a 1 hour rating.

Note:   Safes which are over 50 years old do not provide ANY current protection for documents.  This would include your safe.

These safes have little value.

Fire resistance:     $0     does not meet any current standards
Burglary:          $0     this is not a burglary resistive safe
Resale:          $0     has no commercial or retail value
Antique/collectible  $0     neither antique or collectible.

While I'm sure that the safe will afford some protection, there is no way of testing it to see if it meets any current standards, other than destructive testing.

Have him go ahead and use it, as long as he understand that it should ONLY be used for general purpose document storage.    NO cash, jewelry or valuable documents!!!

Sorry I wish the news was better.

Hope this helps  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)