Antique Safes/Safe

Question
safe
safe  
Can you identify this safe just by the picture.  I have not seen it in person yet, but will be picking it up.  Don't think we have the combo so that could be a problem.

Is it just the small round door that opens?

If we don't have the combo, could a locksmith somehow open the safe and reset the combo?

Many thanks.

Answer
Hi Tipton,

The safe appears to be a Diebold TL-30 or TRTL-30 lug door money chest.    After dialing the combination correctly, unlocking the lock, the WHOLE door rotates and swings out of the way, revealing a large interior storage area, which probably has several different locking storage areas.

the lock on the safe is Diebold's, diabolical 180-55, Tri-bolt, manipulation resistive lock.

This is the type of safe that you need a well trained safe technician and NOT a locksmith.

Short answer, yes, once the safe is opened the combination can be recovered and/or reset.

As parts are no longer available, damaging the lock to open it should not be an option.    

Note:    I NEVER recommend using locksmiths for safe work, especially high security safes like this one.

If you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you are located (zip code) and I'll see who I might know and/or recommend in your area.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)