Antique Safes/Detroit safe

Question
detroit safe
detroit safe  

detroit safe
detroit safe  
To your last communication Safe ways more than 6600lbs. Moved with 6600ld cap. fork truck rear tires would lift off ground in transportation. It is48x26x20 o/s. 35x21x14i/s. Pics to follow.

Answer
Hi Randy,

Just because the fork lift tires were lifting off the ground doesn't mean anything.   The capacity of the fork lift is based on "IDEAL" lifting conditions.    For instance if you have the weight forward of the mast, each 1" will change the amount the lift can actually carry.   The basic concept is know as the "Fulcrum Principle"  with the tire closest to the lift being the fulcrum.   You can actually be under the capacity of the lift and still cause it to tip.

Unfortunately the photos you provided don't let me get a good look at your safe.   Partly because this site is not really photo friendly (not my site, I only volunteer here), which is why I always recommend the photos be sent directly to my email instead.   Secondly your measurements don't really provide an accurate picture of the safe, for instance are they inclusive of the wheels and castor supports, or just the body.   how thick are the walls, ceiling and floor of the safe.   how thick is the safe door???

Based on your measurements and taking some of the above items in to account, the most I could come up with was about 3500 lbs - this is ASSUMING that the walls are solid steel, about 3" thick.   So no where close to "over 6000 lbs.".

If it was even approaching that heavy I would expect it to be a crane hinge pressure bar door, in order to support the weight of the door.    The hinges on this door, don't support that at all.

While it does appear that your safe may have much better bolt work than a standard fire resistive safe of the same size, again the photos don't allow me to really examine it for you.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)