Antique Safes/Grasshopper key

Question
I am looking for someone who can manufacture a grasshopper key for a safe in in Australia.  What info would you need?  Any ideas?  Can you help? Joc

Answer
Hi Jocelyn,

Sorry but I don't know of anyone in the Australia area with the knowledge or capabilities to make one of these keys.

I only know of two people in the US - myself and Doug MacQueen, though both of us would need the lock to make one from scratch.

You didn't mention whether or not you currently have a key which will operate the lock.   If you do, then we can match one to it, however without the lock there would be no way of testing it.   Without having the lock "in hand" to test the new key, there is no way that we can guarantee its operation.

If you have a working key, you could possibly take it to a local machine shop to have a second made based on the first one, however if you don't have one at all, then we are back to plan "1" - pull the lock out of the safe and send it to me.

sorry wish there was better news but there isn't.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)