Antique Safes/Hall Safe & Lock

Question
body of safe
body of safe  

second set of doors
second set of doors  
I recently bought a house with a huge Hall Safe & Lock Co. safe in the basement.  They think the foundation for the basement was poured, the safe was lowered in, and then the house was built around it.  This was in 1959.
The handle has a serial number of 118745.
I have two questions:  
One, I'm wondering how old it is.
Two, I'm wondering how to clean it.  It is in the furnace/well water equipment room, so the safe has its fair share of mold and accumulated dirt.
You can't tell from the picture, but above the painted mural someone has tried to use black paint to cover the words "Grand Central Hotel".  We are about 8 hours from NYC, so I doubt it's referring to the famous hotel from the last two centuries there.  I am still trying to find out the original owner of this house and perhaps that will give me a clue where this safe came from. I love a good mystery!

Answer
Hi Gaby,

based on your serial number your safe would have been built around 1885ish  (1884-1886).

The beautiful art work and mural would have been mimicked on the exterior doors, so yes, someone has painted the exterior of the safe loosing the original art.

As far as cleaning, any automotive soaps, cleaners etc. will work on your safe.    For stubborn, caked on dirt, if you can't get it off with a fingernail, you might try light scrubbing with 00 stainless steel wool.    If you are scrubbing hard enough to damage the paint, you are scrubbing too hard.    Other cleaners that work well would include "Pledge" cleaner and/or furnisher polish.    Areas that have rust would need to have the rust removed, cleaned and a touch up, rust resistive paint installed.

If the safe has moisture issues inside the safe, there are numerous air dryer units that you can buy to keep it under control, however if the safe has a "wet" interior, then it will have to be dried out.    Open all of the safe doors and set up a heater/blower to blow warm dry air into the safe.   this will take about 1-2 weeks to warm it up and to suck the moisture out of the walls.

Hope this helps,    good luck with your "history-mystery"!

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)