Antique Safes/Strongbox/Chest

Question
Outside
Outside  

Inside
Inside  
Andy,

I recently purchased what I believe is a Army strongbox.  I have read several of your previous post on very similar chest.  

As you can see it has been painted blue sometime during its life.  However it is an older looking OD Green on the bottom.  I am curious, who is the maker? Approximate age? Ballpark value?  Maybe a little history on the piece.  I have been unable to find any marking what so ever.   I'm not looking to sell, I purchased it in hopes to return it to a more original condition and will serve for the most part as a conversation piece.

Thanks,
-Eric

Answer
Hi Eric,

These containers were made by several companies between around 1910 to 1930.   Without better photos its going to be hard to ID it, especially as the contract called for them all to be very similar.

You might be able to strip the paint, one layer at a time to get to the original colors and lettering but that's a lot of work.

as far as value goes, there is a limited market of collectors, mainly being those doing WWI collecting or reenactments type venues.

Values run from $150 to $500 depending on condition.   As yours has been repainted and it is missing all of the original lettering it would be towards the lower end.    Always ask high if you are selling and let them work you down to a price comfortable to both you and the buyer.

As you have it for a conversation piece, it should make a great one, especially if you restore it back to original paint colors.

Sorry I can't give you more info, but without much better photos of the container, bolt work, dial and lock, I won't be able to narrow it down much more.

You can send me photos at:    andy@securitysafeusa.com  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)