Antique Safes/Syracuse safe repair and evaluation

Question
I have a safe that held up to an attempted break in. The hinges were side and dial were damaged. It did however not get opened,a great testament to the quality of workmanship. I have not been able to find anyone to repair it.I'd you could give me so direction I would greatly appreciate it. It was my grandfathers and is quite old. I can send pictures and send info ,I can still open and get in. Thanks for the help.

Answer
Hi Alfred,

Several problems - first is there are ONLY a few companies in the entire country that do safe repairs and/or restoration work like this.    The majority of the smaller companies simply aren't equipped to do this type of work.

Second problem is going to be parts - there are no replacement parts available for your safe.   The ONLY parts that even exist today would be from a donor safe, similar to your safe in worse condition.

As the safe was your grandfathers I can understand why you want to keep it and repair it, so the solution to your problem is going to be in several steps.

1.  Find another similar safe to buy and use for parts.   check eBay, Craigs List, etc. to find one for sale.   They do pop up from time to time.

2.  Find a safe company in your area that can do the necessary repairs.   If you don't have one, then you may have to ship the safe to one of the companies that can do the work.

3.  If you can't find anyone then I would need to know where you are located (zipcode) so that I can possibly recommend someone.    Generally most of the companies are not interested in doing restoration work for customers as the idea you have in mind may not be the idea they have in their mind of what it will look like.    Usually they will restore a safe and then sell it to a customer wanting a restored safe.    So many fewer problems this way.

Also, restoration work generally takes quite a bit of time, and usually requires work from several sub-contractors for portions of the work.    This type work ALWAYS takes a back seat to regular work, meaning it can take from several months to well over a year for most safe companies to complete a repair.   Again EVERYTHING else will take a priority over your safe.

Ok, so I've tried to give you some direction for your repair and restoration work, once you have located a donor safe to use for parts, then you will be ready to look for a safe company to take the job on.    Contact me at that time and I'll see who I know and/or recommend in your area.

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)