Antique Safes/united states safe co.

Question
I have a united states safe co.Elizabeth P.A.USA.safe.It is 75 inches high,24 inches deep and 36 inches wide.I would like to know about how much it weighes.Just a ballpark figure would be greatly appreciated.Thanks!Rick.The safe looks almost identical to the one that was submitted on the question that was asked on 1/2/2011 to Andy.

Answer
Hi Ricky,

Weight is determined more from the materials that it is constructed from than from the size, though obviously size is a factor.    For instance Bankers safes are usually solid or laminated plate steel, while a record safe usually has a thinner skin of steel, with thick walls of insulation material, the weight of which IS determined by the material used.   For instance gypsum or asbestos is much lighter than a similar size safe filled with a mortar or concrete type material.  
Two identically size safes can easily weigh thousands of pounds difference, just by the materials, so it isn't as simple as just having the exterior measurements.

You can do some rough numbers by calculating the size of the walls, top, bottom and door, and then figuring the weight of each based on the material.   For example steel weighs around 42 lbs per square foot, 1" thick.   One cubic foot of Concrete weighs about 150 lbs and one cubic foot of mortar weighs around 100 lbs.

Assuming that your safe is a standard fire resistive safe, with a cast iron frame around the door, I would estimate your safe at between 2500 to 3000 lbs, without any further information, though as mentioned the weight can vary greatly depending on the materials used.

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)