Antique Safes/Value of a Herring-Hall-Marvin Safe

Question
Front
Front  

Inside
Inside  
I am looking for a potential monetary value of a safe.  It is a Herring-Hall-Marvin safe that I need to dispose of as surplus (under municipal procurement laws).  Outside dimensions are: 72(H), 40(W), & 27(D).  There is no date of manufacture that I can easily find.  Tag on inside of right door shows SPEC: F1-D, and is stamped with number: 1Y-106349.  Tag also states: Fire Insulated Safe SMNA Class "B".  See pictures attached.

Answer
Hi Dan,

Generally manufacturers NEVER put dates of manufacture on safes as it really doesn't matter in most cases.    Unfortunately we have been programmed by advertising on TV to ALWAYS want the latest greatest new car or TV or phone or etc. etc. etc.     Having last years model is "the most important thing in life" to many people - who probably need to get a life!!!!

The ONLY reasons that age is important with a safe - UNLESS you are collecting them - is that pretty much AFTER it is 50 years old it no longer meets ANY current standards for burglary or fire protection.    New designs come out regularly, when ever burglars figure out how to break into the safe, manufacturers come up with new ways to keep them out.    Fire resistive containers have insulation which no longer meets the current standards, and with age it is often cracked and broken, sometimes severely.    Without regular inspections most owners don't know when a safe no longer meets its standard, and shouldn't be used as a fire resistive container.

Okay, now on to the basics of your safe.   The Safe Manufacturers National Association (SMNA) was a testing agency, similar to UL.   Testing safes and setting standards for construction.    This agency was around from the mid 1920's through the early 1960's (they went out of business sometime between 1962-64).

Specification "F1-D" indicates that this container was constructed as a "Fire Resistive" safe.
Classification "B" indicates that it was given a 2 hour fire resistive label.

As your safe was constructed during the late 1940's through about 1959, as mentioned above it NO LONGER meets ANY current standards for fire resistance, and it is NOT a burglary resistive safe.

Basic values for the container are as follows:
Fire resistance:     $0     Does not meet any current standards
Burglary:          $0     Not burglary resistive
Resale:          $0     has no commercial or retail value.    Should NOT be used for overnight storage of cash, jewelry or valuable documents.
Antique/collectible: $0     is neither antique or collectible.    Basically this container is considered "OLD office equipment".

While it doesn't meet any of the above standards, this doesn't necessarily mean that it has no value and as long as you understand its capabilities (or lack of) it will make a more than satisfactory general purpose storage or security container.

The biggest problems with selling an item like this are its size.    Smaller safes are much easier to sell as people don't have to use or need special equipment to move them.   Even though it has wheels, as heavy as it is, it is not going to be easy to move.

If it were at our company, and in good enough condition to sell, it would probably be in the $400 to $600 range, however we would NOT be listing it as a fire or burglary resistive safe, as it does not meet these standards.

As far as disposing of the container, it contains no asbestos in the insulation material, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Hope this helps.   If you have any specific questions concerning the container feel free to drop me a line.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)