Antique Safes/Antique Safe

Question
dials
dials  

dials
dials  
I purchase a old bank building and nobody has the combination to the vault.  It has been disabled for forty years now.  It is a Yale combination lock on the door.  It has four wheels plus the one on the vault door.  Could you tell me from the attachments what the stamp out means and the combinations.  The catches are all set between 54 & 66.  The vault door picks the latch at between 3 & 96.  What do the cut outs on the dial mean.

Mike

Answer
Hi Michael,

If you will look at the wheels (see your photos),  they are actually two main parts, just like the wheel on a car - you have the inner hub and the outer wheel.

In this case the outer wheel has all of the numbers and the number index marks.   in between the wheel and the inner hub is a small jagged line where the two pieces intersect and join.   on the edge of the inner hub is a small index mark which will align with the number chosen and set for THAT particular wheel.    In the case of your photo, this index mark is set adjacent to the number "10".

If you look for this small index mark on each wheel, it will let you know WHAT number was selected for that individual wheel.

disassembling the inner hub from the outer wheel, you can "re-set" the number selected for that particular wheel.

NOTE:    NEVER, lock the safe or vault door shut, unless you have tested the combination several times to ensure proper operation.

Hope this helps.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)