Antique Safes/FABRIK von F.SCHMIDT safe

Question
I have an antique safe which has been at my home used by grand father and his father. It is made in Germany (HAMBURG), the manufacturer is FABRIK von F.SCHMIDT, the condition of the safe is very good and still in use, I wanted to know the value of the safe if I know the value I may sell it.

Features Of Safe:
Spring Key Lock System  
Pair of Corintians Pillars
Hand painted with wooden colour
Beautifully restore handle
Flower lookalike Key Covers
Complicated Mechanical Lock System
Hidden Keyholes with spring locks
Age probably 100yrs above
weight approx 500kgs to 600kgs

Kindly provide me antique safe buyer details in Europe and America.

Answer
Hello Subra Nach,

I'm going to direct you to some friends of mine that specialize in exactly this type of safe.   While I would be more than happy to look at your safe and give you my appraisal of it, I don't specialize in Antique European safes.

Next item, I don't provide info for buyers.   I have no way of keeping an up to date listing of who might be looking for antique safes, and as this list would always be changing, it simply isn't something I have time to work on.    You will have to sell your safe just like you would any other item - advertise, advertise, advertise.    EBay, Craig's List and other similar sites are good ways of letting people know about your safe.   You can also post listings with antique dealers or auction houses, though these latter options generally charge a fee for their services.

The best company to contact for an appraisal about your safe, and probably one of the few companies that specializes in this type of safe, including restoration work is:

Siah's Old Safe Service
Showroom / Office is located at
No 50, Serangoon North Avenue 4
First Centre (Near Northstar)
Singapore, Malaysia
#06-09 S555856
T: +65 6846 7141 or +65 9139 2827
enquiry@sosantiquesafe.com
http://www.siaholdsafe.com/

David Siah is a second generation master safe specialist and safe restorer
His son Desmond Siah, has been working for his father since he was 7 years old and is a partner in the company.

I highly recommend your contacting this company or checking out their web site to give you some more ideas.  
They will be able to give you a more accurate appraisal of what your safe might be worth, and they may also be able to offer buyers for your safe, though just as with antique dealers and auction houses, I would expect you to pay a fee for their services.

If you would like me to look at your safe for you, I would be more than happy to.

In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 12mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos, unless they are very clear and of sufficient resolution.   Also, please don’t use online, internet photo drops as most of these also don’t allow me to easily access the photos for examination.   Send the pics directly to me, while this may be more work for you, it will make my job easier.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.

Hope this helps you out.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)