Antique Safes/Halls Safe Company floor safe

Question
QUESTION: Height 40, width 26, depth 26 plus hinges and dial

Serial number on handle 82100.  Inside door 1906 Cincinnati Ohio

How old is it?  How much does it weigh?

It's been in family at least 60 years.

ANSWER: Hi Donna,

This company was actually the second "Hall's" safe company.      The first was in business from 1867 until 1892.   Shortly after Joseph Hall's death in 1889, his son's merged the company with several others to become Herring-Hall-Marvin Safe company.    In 1896 after a falling out with the other board of director members over moving to a new factory, the Hall brothers left HHM to start a new company, so in October of 1896 "Hall's Safe Company" began.    This company lasted until the late 1920's.

Unfortunately there are no records from the factory concerning serial numbers so I'll have to see your safe to evaluate it, and or estimate the weight.

In order to answer questions, identify, evaluate or appraise the “current condition” of your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos (close-ups) should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 12mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please use a “jpeg” format, not a bitmap (bmp) image.   Also, I don’t like “website” photo dumps.   While it may be an easy place for you to store them, retrieving photos which allow me to zoom in to look at details, takes a lot of extra time.   Please send the requested photos directly to me.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.

QUESTION: I don't care about the value.  

does it weigh 300# or 1000#?  I want to get it moved.  

what do I tell the mover?

Answer
Hi Donna,

I do understand what you want, however that does not change anything that I've asked for.    I will need to see your safe to estimate its weight.

As you haven't provided any useful info, I have to be able to see what you have.

Sorry but I don't have a crystal ball - so you will need to send all of the requested photos.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)