Antique Safes/Hercules Letter Vault - Meilink Steel Safe Co.

Question
Hercules Fire Safe
Hercules Fire Safe  

Hercules Logo
Hercules Logo  
I was doing some research about a fire safe I purchased and came across your information.  I hoped that you may be able to provide me a little more insight about this safe.  It is a Hercules Letter Vault made by the Meilink Steel Safe Company.  Dimensions 16x12.5x13.5 (measured on the outside).  The inside holds hanging file folders.  See attached pictures.  I will email you the additional pictures I have.  It is in excellent condition with no issues.  Key and lock works great.

Do you know about how old the safe is or when it would have been manufactured?  Can you provide me with any further information about it?  Was the fire safe metal label (first picture) located on the inside lid above the Yellow Hercules decal?  How would you recommend reattaching it?  Can you tell me an approximate value of this piece?  Or send me the information needed to make that kind of determination?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time,

Andy

Answer
Hi Andy,

Sorry but this isn't a "safe", it is simply a fire resistive, portable filing cabinet.

As far as value - this container has very little.   It is not antique, nor is it collectible.   It doesn't meet any current standards for fire resistance, and it has no burglary resistance.   It has no commercial or retail value.

These little fire resistive file cabinets were made during the late 1950's into the early 1970's.

As it looks in pretty good condition, I wouldn't hesitate to use it for storage of general purpose document, but nothing that isn't easy to replace or has any value.

If you are planning on trying to sell it - value will be somewhere between $0 to $50.

Sorry, I know this isn't the news you were looking for.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)