Antique Safes/J Baum Safe Cincinnati

J Baum Safe
J Baum Safe  

I have enjoyed reading the very informative answers that you have given in response to other questions and I was wondering if you can tell me anything about this safe currently in my parents basement in Canada.
As you see from the photos, the maker was J Baum, Cincinnati.
The dimensions are 28" high x 18" wide x 18.5" deep.
What does the number (45254) on the handle indicate?
Would this have been first sold as a private home safe?
What kind of metal might it be made of and would it be solid or filled with something.
The combination lock is working and the small inner box still has its key.
I understand that you can not give an estimate here, but do you think it might be worth having it appraised.
Thank you for any information that you can give me.

Tania, most likely your safe would have been originally purchased for a business safe for both fire and burglary protection.  It is made with an inner and outer steel sheet shell, with cast iron used for the jamb and door frame.  Fire insulation material is poured to fill the cavity between the inner and outer shells. The handle number would be a serial number.  Jacob Baum was the general foreman for the Victor Safe and Lock Co. in Cincinnati prior to starting his own company in the early 1900's.  It was a very successful company up until the Great Depression, so there are many of these safes still found today.  In it's current condition, I don't think it is worth much.  Doug

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen

This unusual and highly innovative safe from the later 1800's is a Corliss. William, the much younger brother of George Corliss of steam engine fame, spent several years perfecting this design and it was first displayed at the 1876 Philadelphia U.S. Centennial Exhibition. I do extensive patent research helping me in the study of antique U.S. safes and safe locks. Repairs and part making for antique U.S. safes of the early to mid 1800's, both key and combination. Also the study of early round door chest designs up to and including cannonball safes of the early 1900's.

40 years in the lock and safe trade with a stint in bank service work. Openings, repairs and moving of safes of all types.

Charter member Safe and Vault Technicians Association SAVTA, National Safemans Association NSO, National Antique Safe Association NASA. No longer current.

SAVTA monthly magazine

CMS (Certified Master Safecracker- NSO) and CPS (Certified Professional Safe Technician - SAVTA)

2nd place national combination manipulation contest 1986 and now in 2016 1st place