Antique Safes/Lock Key

QUESTION: Father (93) passed away recently. The safe deposite box keys were all accounted for, except one. It had Gross Feibel, Hillsboro.O engraved on one side and N148, 150 B engraved on the other side. When I was a lot younger I remember an old floor safe, 3'x3'x3' cube shape. I assumed it was another safe deposite key. If it helps, I can take a pic and forward it to you.

Any information woulld be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Patrick J. Ferreira

ANSWER: Patrick, not exactly sure what you are asking here.  It would be highly unusual for an old 3 foot cube safe to use a safe deposit key, unless it was originally used as a bank locker.  If what you are saying is that you have this Gross Feibel key and don't know what it goes to, you should take it to the banks in your area.  Hope that helps.  Doug  

QUESTION: Thank you for your prompt response. Is there a way to look up a Gross Feibel, Hillsboro.O key with engraved markings, N148, 150 B . And you believe this is an actual safe deposite key? please find attached a photo. Once again thank you.

Kind regards,

Patrick J. Ferreira

Unfortunately the picture is not showing so I can't say.  Other than checking with local banks, it is highly unlikely on tracking the key.  I don't if they are still in business but Williamson Safe Co. of Hillsboro did make SD boxes.  I do not know if there was a connection with the long defunct Gross Feibel Co. but most likely there was.  It is less likely of finding any record of your particular key.  Doug  

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen

This unusual and highly innovative safe from the later 1800's is a Corliss. William, the much younger brother of George Corliss of steam engine fame, spent several years perfecting this design and it was first displayed at the 1876 Philadelphia U.S. Centennial Exhibition. I do extensive patent research helping me in the study of antique U.S. safes and safe locks. Repairs and part making for antique U.S. safes of the early to mid 1800's, both key and combination. Also the study of early round door chest designs up to and including cannonball safes of the early 1900's.

40 years in the lock and safe trade with a stint in bank service work. Openings, repairs and moving of safes of all types.

Charter member Safe and Vault Technicians Association SAVTA, National Safemans Association NSO, National Antique Safe Association NASA. No longer current.

SAVTA monthly magazine

CMS (Certified Master Safecracker- NSO) and CPS (Certified Professional Safe Technician - SAVTA)

2nd place national combination manipulation contest 1986 and now in 2016 1st place