Antique Safes/SAFE VALUE

Hi, we have a safe that is marked schwab. It has a plate on it that says underwriters laboratories inspected insulated cabinet. it also has a small safe inside the cabinet.It also says henry d thornton on top,. Thanks

Brenda, since it has a UL label, it is less than 100 years old, so no real antique value.  Although the market for insulated safes is not what it once was, they are still sold today.  A used one typically goes for around half of the cost of a new one of equal size and UL rating.  Doug

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen

This unusual and highly innovative safe from the later 1800's is a Corliss. William, the much younger brother of George Corliss of steam engine fame, spent several years perfecting this design and it was first displayed at the 1876 Philadelphia U.S. Centennial Exhibition. I do extensive patent research helping me in the study of antique U.S. safes and safe locks. Repairs and part making for antique U.S. safes of the early to mid 1800's, both key and combination. Also the study of early round door chest designs up to and including cannonball safes of the early 1900's.

40 years in the lock and safe trade with a stint in bank service work. Openings, repairs and moving of safes of all types.

Charter member Safe and Vault Technicians Association SAVTA, National Safemans Association NSO, National Antique Safe Association NASA. No longer current.

SAVTA monthly magazine

CMS (Certified Master Safecracker- NSO) and CPS (Certified Professional Safe Technician - SAVTA)

2nd place national combination manipulation contest 1986 and now in 2016 1st place