Antique Safes/Vault door restoration

Question
front assembly
front assembly  
I recently purchased a vault door that I removed from an abandon bank. I believe the building it was in was constucted in 1917 and I am lead to believe this door was installed during construction. I would like to verify the year if possible?

I plan on restoring this and installing it in my house. All of the hardware is engraved. What method can be used to re-plate (nickel or chrome) and preserve the engraving to the best extent?

I will send more pictures.

Thanks,
Derek

Answer
Hi Derek,

There is a really good chance that you will loose all of the engraving when it is replated.   Generally that's the purpose of "plating" - to ADD a layer of metal!

I would take all of the items that are engraved to a "polisher" first.    It may come out nice enough that you don't need to replate it, especially if you an color the engraved areas darker - they would really show up then.

Chances are the material was nickel plated as "chrome plating" was NOT a standard in this industry - ever!

After the items have been thoroughly polished, you can discussed how you can possibly protect engraved areas during any replating process.   The company that you use for plating should be able to answer any questions that you have, however don't plan on them being very "Detail oriented".   They usually just replate the parts - nothing more, nothing less.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)