Antique Safes/Diebold safe

Pic 2
Pic 2  
Hi, I am restoring a diebold safe and lock company safe. The only part I am missing to make everything work is the bolt part on the top right of the first picture. Do you know if one of these are available anywhere? Also, the lock has 4 wheels inside and I don't know the combination. Is there a way to find the combination having access to the wheels. The pictures are some I found online that look just like my lock. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Adam,

First off, individual pieces and parts are NOT available.   I do have a couple of these locks, but we don't "part them out".    I'm more than happy to sell you an entire lock.   Worst case is you will have replacement parts for your lock.

You basically have three options.

1.  You can have one made based on the photo that you have found.

2.  You can purchase a mechanical drawing of the lock bolt, to have one made from.    Cost is $125 for the labor to mic it out and draw it.    This drawing will be suitable for use by any machine shop.

3.  purchase a used replacement lock.    Because of the scarcity of the locks they are going for around $500 plus any shipping and handling fees.

Sorry, I wish there were some better options, but there simply isn't any type of aftermarket locks or system for tracking antique lock parts that may be in various shops around the country, so other than the three options above, you would simply have to keep knocking on locksmith and safe company doors until you found one.    In general, most safe companies keep these parts for their use, for repairs on their safes, and NOT necessarily for sale.   They generally are not in any kind of organized inventory, so unless you are an extremely motivated buyer (read as $$$$'s), they aren't going to spend any time looking through boxes of old parts for something that they may or may not have available.

You can also keep looking on EBay or Craigs List, to see if anyone has any locks for sale.

Hope this helps,   If you are interested in items #2 or 3 above, send an email directly to me at:    and I'll see what I have.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada