Antique Safes/identify manufacturer and age of safe

QUESTION: I got this safe and would like some help determining the manufacturer and approximate age.  I plan to restore the safe.  My pics arent great but I can take more.  Unfortunately it's laying on its back until I can get it unloaded.  It does open but I don't know the combination so I won't lock it. It will also need a couple new wheels. On the inside the walls taper down like steps

ANSWER: Hi Brad,

I have seen these same castor supports before, though I can't remember who the manufacture is.   I've looked through photos from a couple safe companies that came to mind, but didn't find it - I'll keep looking.

I will probably need more photos to finish IDing it.

In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.
If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 12mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos, unless they are very clear and of sufficient resolution.   Also, please don’t use online, internet photo drops as most of these also don’t allow me to easily access the photos for examination.   Send the pics directly to me, while this may be more work for you, it will make my job easier.

Please send all of the requested photos to:

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.

QUESTION: Ok, thanks for checking.  Any specific pictures that would help you I'd the safe?  It's laying on its back but I can try to get door lifted up if that helps identify the safe.  I figured the key would be the design of the casters

ANSWER: Hi Brad,

Probably, the most important photos are going to be inside of the door, of the bolt work and lock mechanism.   Generally these were VERY manufacturer specific.

Hopefully when you look at the back of the door, it may have some further info as well.

QUESTION: I was able to get door up and take these pics.  I would like to be able to restore the bottom then get it on the wheels before I get it back upright

Hi Brad,

these photos didn't help, but they did expose a potentially dangerous problem.    The device on the back of the safe door is a tear gas device.   This type of gas was outlawed around 1980.   At a minimum if the vials are present you could be guilty of a misdeamor for possession.   At a maximum,  with the device installed you could be charged with felony booby trapping. - regardless of whether you installed it or not, you are the current owner.
If the device goes off,  it could severely injur or kill someone who may have any type of breathing disorder.
if you contact the police or fire department,  they will show up with a HAZMAT team and possibly the bomb squad.   You could receive some hefty fines and / or have to pay for their response.

My recommendation to you,  would bevto contact a local safe company to have it removed and disposed of.   This is not a DIY project!

Once you have had the device removed I will need ALL of the requested photos to finish IDing the safe.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada