Antique Safes/John Tann Safe

Question
Hello Mike
I am trying to find out whether a very old John Tann safe we have in the company is fire-resistant.  It states No 11 Newgate St, London on the safe badge and the word Reliance and there is a number on the inside edge of the door 169909.  It has a circular handle opening the door, there are 2 small drawers on the floor of the body and one shelf high up in the body.  It has an extremely thick door.
I need to know if I can safely store papers in there as we would like to keep the safe.
Many thanks.
Jane Wilson

Answer
Hello Jane,

Thank you for your question.  John Tann's London office at 11 Newgate Street was adjacent to the notorious Newgate Prison and it is said that staff were able to see public executions taking place from their office windows.  True or not, they moved further up the road to 117 Newgate Steet around 1912 so your safe is at least 103 years old.  Late Victorian safes were largely filled with a loose mixture of sand, sawdust and alum - a primative fire resistant compound.  However, over the past 100 years or so it will have compacted and leaked leaving large voids in the upper body through which heat would be conducted.

Sadly, therefore. this old John Tann safe would not be san ideal place to secure important documents from possible loss by fire.

If this answer has been usefull,could you take a moment to rate it?  

Many thanks,

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer