Antique Safes/Old safe without combo

Question
Outside of safe
Outside of safe  

Inside
Inside  
Hi
When we bought our home there was an old safe in the utility room. We don't have the combo and we don't use it. We are are trying to find out of it has any value and if yes where could we even try sell it?
It' says a safe cabinet  laboratory on a metal plate inside.
I am attaching a picture.  I can send additional pics if it has value and you can give me a better idea.

Thanks for your time.

Sarah

Answer
Hi Sarah,

While this cabinet had excellent fire resistance in its day, it no longer meets any current standards.   It would have been made between 1926 to 1955.

As far as value, it has little to none - possibly even a negative value.    Let me explain;  this particular manufacturer used asbestos as an insulation media.    Unfortunately this also means that most states have very specific regulations pertaining to the sale,  transportation and/or disposal of ANY item listed as HAZMAT!!!!

If you choose to keep it, as long as it is open, a local safe companies,  safe technician can easily reset the combination for you.

If you don't want the container,  then legally the previous owner may stll be responsible.    You can't simply abandon HAZMAT in most states, leaving the problem for some one else, even if you didn't know the problem existed.

check your state regulations for HAZMAT to find out what your responsibilities are.

sorry, I wish the news was better.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)