Antique Safes/how to reset an antique safe combination

Question
Hello Andy. I recently purchased a turn of the century safe at an auction. The safe is open with the bolts in their out locked position. The safe is marked "Columbian Safe & Lock Co.". I took on the back brass plate which holds the 3 disks. Would you be able to tell me how to reset the combination so I can use this safe. It really is quite beautiful...measures approximately 26" high 16" wide 19" deep...perfect to use as an accessory table in my house! I appreciate any information you can share.
Joanne

Answer
Hi Joanne,

I would be happy to look at your safe to figure out what you actually have.   There were no manufacturer's going by this name.

As far as giving you instructions, yes I probably can after I know what lock you actually have, HOWEVER, I NEVER recommend lock disassembly as a DIY project for the same reason that I never recommend using locksmiths for safe work.     lack of training, knowledge and tools can result in a very expensive lockout.

First recommendation - contact a local safe company to have them change the combination for you.

If you elect to make this a DIY project, I will need to see the safe and the lock to figure out what you have to be able to provide you with correct instructions.

In order to answer questions, identify, evaluate or appraise the “current condition” of your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos (close-ups) should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 12mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please use a “jpeg” format, not a bitmap (bmp) image.   Also, I don’t like “website” photo dumps.   While it may be an easy place for you to store them, retrieving photos which allow me to zoom in to look at details, takes a lot of extra time.   Please send the requested photos directly to me.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)