Antique Safes/Safe combination lost

Question
I have my mothers old safe that was made by the Hall's Safe Co. out of Cinn. Ohio and the dealer was W. R. Schultz out of Baraboo, Wisconsin. The safe is in very good condition and was patent on 4-3-1906 with a Sn# 91390. The safe has an eagle on the front of the door. My problem is I lost the combination. The door is open and unlocked. Question, can the combination be changed by a local locksmith? The measurements of the safe are 28X16 and on the inside of the door there is a metal panel held on with four screws. Would love to get the combination changed and start using the safe.

Answer
Hi Thomas,

The Hall's Safe Company, was in business from October of 1896 until some time in the late 1920's (possibly up to 1929).

There are no records from the manufacture pertaining to combinations or even serial numbers.

As long as the door is OPEN, it can be changed or recovered, though I recommend your using a local safe company not a locksmith.

As for your being able to do it as a DIY project, I would need to see the lock on your safe.    There is one type of lock that you "might" be able to do.

Remove the back panel and for screws to reveal the bolt work and lock.    Send a photo of the lock to me at:    andy@securitysafeusa.com so that I can see what you have, and/or advise you.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)