Antique Safes/Weight Range? 4' Hall's (revised - smaller)

Question
Halls Safe door
Halls Safe door  
QUESTION: Aloha Andy,

I've been invited to collect a family heirloom, a Hall's safe (Cincinnati, white background on the eagle) that was likely of service to one of Hawaii's first hotels.  

I quickly need to figure out approximately how much it weighs so that I can determine if I can put in in my pickup (max 1000 lbs), draft my friend with a lift (max 2000 lbs), or need to find something even sturdier.

At this point, I have very little to go on.  My family tells me it is approx 4'h x 3'w x 3'd, (including wheels).  I have one (potato quality) photo of the door.

It's not a lot to go on, but any chance you can tell me the range of weight to expect for this size of safe. If not, what features should I look for (and photograph) to determine the model or options (records/banker/jeweler/fireproof/burglarproof/etc) that would help me refine an estimate of the weight.

I appreciate any answer, especially given the lack of details.

Mahalo,
R

ANSWER: Hi Robb,

There's a lot more to estimating the weight of a safe, than just a photo and measurements.   The interior will have a lot to do with it.   If the container is  burglary resistive type safe (bankers model), it is going to be SIGNIFICANTLY heavier than the same size fire resistive safe.   If it has a Jewelers chest inside - this could easily add 400 to 1000 lbs depending on its size.

As my wife broke my crystal ball about the same time she killed my money tree, I no longer "GUESS" weights.

To give you some ideas - if the safe is a:

Fire resistive type container - ONLY          about 1000 to 1500 lbs

Burglary / Bankers type          about 2500 to 3000 lbs

Fire resistive with a jewelers chest          about 1500 to 2250 lbs

Without knowing more about the container - and without guessing - I would ALWAYS assume the most weight, this way you can't go wrong.   If you plan for 3000 lbs and its only 1000, your equipment will be more than adequate.    If you plan for 1000 and its much heavier, you could seriously damage your equipment - or worse case you could seriously injure or kill one of your helpers.

Note:   I NEVER recommend moving heavy items as a DIY project if you don't have training.    I would recommend that you contact a local safe company to have it moved.    In the long run it WILL save you time, money and a potential injury or worse a funeral of one of your friends or helpers.

Gravity is NOT your friend, and weight will INJURE really quickly.   Extreme weight will kill really quickly.

front view
front view  

interior
interior  
QUESTION: Aloha Andy,

Thanks you for your previous analysis.  I’ve since been able to examine the safe, which is a bit smaller than I was told.  Details follow, but briefly it is approximately 2’2”W x 2’D x 3’4”H, with wall thickness between 6 and 6.7”.

I’ve got 3 main questions and a few others should you have the time.
1)   Is it possible to estimate a weight range for this size/type safe
2)   What is the safe’s type or model (e.g. bankers, fireproof, etc)
3)   Do the details help you refine the estimated age of construction?

Measurements (inches)
26.3W x 24.0D x 40.3H  Exterior (including 8.0H base/wheels)
13.5W x 12.0D x 19.0H Interior
6.4W, 6.0D, 6.7H (calculated) Wall thicknesses

Details
•   3 of 4 acorns are present.  They are tarnished/ brass colored although the hidden sections appear silver
•   A wood divider is present in the safe with 5 compartments on the left, 2 on the right.  The upper left compartment is a metal box with key.
•   The door has two non-operational “cogs” on the right and 3 operational on the left.
•   A cementious material is present behind the interior panel of the door.
•   The sides of the unit have a recessed panel detail
•   I could not view the top or back of the unit.

Inscriptions/Marks
•   “The Hall’s Safe Company/ Cincinnati, O.” (upper door, center)
•   Illegible (center of dial)
•   “58252” (on handle)
•   “Not Hall’s Safe & Lock Co./ which quit business in 1892./ Or its successor.” (white eagle logo, center door, low)
•   “H.Hackfeld & Co. LTD Dealers.,Honolulu, T.H.” (bottom of door, center) [assuming T.H. = Territory of Hawaii]
•   “393 Broadway, N.Y.” (center, base below door)
•   “Hall Patent/ April 3d. 1906.” (interior panel of door, upper center)
•   Illegible/rusted (back of interior panel)