Antique Safes/The age of a Hall's safe

I have a Hall's large safe with combo and all work's great . What I would like to know is about what year it was made the serial number is 38985. Is there any records of where it was shopped to from the Hall's factory. It is in california now . Thank you for your time !

Alan, if you post a couple clear pictures, I should be able to give you a rough idea of when it was made.  I have gone through many of the archives in the Cincinnati and the Hamilton, Ohio Historical Societies and found nothing regarding Hall serial numbers.  If any exists, it would likely be held by Diebold, that is if they haven't tossed them. Years ago I tried to get into the Diebold archives in Canton, Ohio and didn't make it past the receptionist.  Doug

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen

This unusual and highly innovative safe from the later 1800's is a Corliss. William, the much younger brother of George Corliss of steam engine fame, spent several years perfecting this design and it was first displayed at the 1876 Philadelphia U.S. Centennial Exhibition. I do extensive patent research helping me in the study of antique U.S. safes and safe locks. Repairs and part making for antique U.S. safes of the early to mid 1800's, both key and combination. Also the study of early round door chest designs up to and including cannonball safes of the early 1900's.

40 years in the lock and safe trade with a stint in bank service work. Openings, repairs and moving of safes of all types.

Charter member Safe and Vault Technicians Association SAVTA, National Safemans Association NSO, National Antique Safe Association NASA. No longer current.

SAVTA monthly magazine

CMS (Certified Master Safecracker- NSO) and CPS (Certified Professional Safe Technician - SAVTA)

2nd place national combination manipulation contest 1986 and now in 2016 1st place