Antique Safes/Chubb safe decals

Mike, i have e-mailed you in the past regarding older Chubb and Tann safes. I live in Salt Lake City in the USA. I finally found a Chubb Resolute, it was made around 1985. The paint work is in pretty bad shape which i plan on stripping off and re-finishing. My question is, is it possible to purchase the Chubb decals that were on the inside of the door. Any information that you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Paul Kusnierz.

Hi Paul,

Good to hear from you again.  However, I have no idea where you could find Tann decals as the company has been gone for so long.  Chubb doesn't exist in its own right any more either, it is just a brand name of Gunnebo and their safes are made in Bassencourt, France and Indonesia but I have no contacts at either factory.

Sorry I can't help in this instance.

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer

I earn my living identifying safes and suggesting cash limits for risk advisors and insurance surveyors in the UK. I'm am pleased to comment on safes manufactured in the UK or Mainland Europe but I am unable to accept questions regarding safes made in the USA or elsewhere.

I have been in the UK safe industry for 40 years and have one of the largest archive databases of old safe literature and serial numbers in the country. I started with Chubb in 1960 and became Assistant Manager of their Bank Security Division before moving on to become the Insurance Liaison Manager with the John Tann Group. I became Sales & Marketing Director for Guardian Safes Limited before semi-retiring. I am a Fellow of the Security Institute and ex-Chairman of Eurosafe UK, a trade body representing the interests of UK safe makers and distributors. I now work as a part time consultant.

I am an advisor to the Safe Committee of the Association of Insurance Surveyors, a Fellow of the Security Institute and founding Chairman of Eurosafe UK.

I have had literally scores of articles published in various security trade publications. So far this year I have had 24 features published in various journals including Keyways, Professional Security, Pawnbroker and Safe India. I have published one book, Peckham Boy, the life and times of the world's greatest safe cracker.

No relevant educational credentials.

In 1997 I was awarded the annual shield by the Association of Insurance Surveyors for "..outstanding services to crime prevention"

I have represented or been an agent for the John Tann Group (Stratford, Ratner, Dreadnought and Tann safes); Churchill Safes, Chubb Safe Co Ltd, SLS Safes, SMP Safes, Dudley Safes and several others