Antique Safes/Evans & Watson Safe

Question
Evans&WatsonSafe
Evans&WatsonSafe  
I have an Evans & Watson Safe.  Unfortunately, during the time between when I asked for it and later received it, the key was lost.  I understand there was some "sequence" to opening it with the key, something like turn the key so many times one direction and then turn the handle so many times in the other direction.  Any suggestions of how to get it open, get a key made for it, it's value, and if refinishing it would devalue it?

Answer
Hi Russ,

Actually yes I do have ideas on how to open the safe, make a key on it, restoration work, etc.    Unfortunately, all of them would require you to ship the safe to me.
As far as "value" - while it locked up and needs all of this work, its value is basically a negative amount - that being the cost to have it opened and repaired, keys made and restoration work done.
Restoration work, if done correctly will increase its value.

I don't know of anyone in your area that I would recommend to open this antique safe and hand fit keys to it.    Again, unfortunately, there are only a small handful of safe technicians in the country that even do this type of work.   Especially making keys for these old antique safes.
Second problem, if you don't use someone who is really familiar with this type of safe, you could wind up with some hack that totally ruins the container.

You can look around at some local safe companies to see if anyone can help you, but this isn't going to be cheap!!!

Unfortunately, having this safe locked up, would be very similar to your needing to get a key made for the space shuttle - it is rare and unique and NOT something that your everyday locksmith or safe technician is going to be able to do.

Regardless of how much they indicate that they want to work on your safe, if they don't have a history of doing this type of work, then I would strongly recommend against it.

Let me know where you and/or the safe are located (zip code) and I'll see who I might recommend having work on the safe.    In any case, plan on shipping it to someone.

Sorry the news isn't better - go back and severely beat the person you got the safe from, for losing the keys!    That little "mistake" is going to prove to be an extremely expensive one!  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)