Antique Safes/herring-hall-marvin safe

Question
I got a safe that my aunt used when she had her business but she don't use it anymore so it hasn't been opened in 7 years im trying to get it open without damaging it cause she don't remember the com but I want to use the safe is there any way to get a safe like this open without drilling thanks she bought it 25 years ago so the store no longer keeps records

Answer
Hi Cliff,

Yes there is, but that doesn't mean its going to happen for your safe, for several reasons.

First, you may not have someone in your area who is trained in manipulation, and
Second, Manipulation is NEVER a guarantee.    For various mechanical reasons, including dirt, debris, wear & tear, etc. etc. etc., some locks simply don't want to talk.    While most locks CAN be manipulated open, given the amount of time it may take, depending on the lock and the safe technicians level of competency, it may not be practical.

Generally with manipulation, you are paying for the service NOT the result.

Drilling, when done correctly, by a trained safe technician WILL NOT ruin or damage the safe or the lock.    Obviously if you let some untrained locksmith work on it just because they give you the "high five" that they can do it, you may wind up with unsatisfactory results, so finding someone competent is obviously paramount.

Check in your local yellow pages under safes & vaults to find out who is available - contact them and discuss the opening options.   

While I always start with basic manipulation and dialing diagnostics to determine if the lock is going to talk, and/or to find problems, if I'm not getting satisfactory results in 15-20 minutes, I probably won't waste much more time.   Remember that TIME is money, and the longer that someone wastes on the safe is money coming out of YOUR pocket.
Because I have a very large service area, and I may have several other customers waiting in line for me to finish working on your safe, I have to be as productive as possible - so again, wasting time is NOT in my vocabulary.

If you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you are located (zip code) and I'll see if I know any one that I might recommend.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)