Antique Safes/Mosler

Question
mosler hinge
mosler hinge  
I have a small mossier whose hinge was broken in a recent move.
Can it repaired?

Answer
Hi David,

This is a cast piece - cast iron.     Cast Iron CAN be welded, however it is a problem material, and can't be welded like other irons.

You will need to have someone who is skilled in welding cast materials.

As Mosler has been out of business since 2001, and has these doors haven't been made since the 1960's, unless you find a similar safe to use for donor parts, finding a replacement is pretty much slim to none.

Bottom line - can it be repaired - "YES"!

How good the repair is, is dependent upon who is doing the repair and how knowledgeable they are.      Many welders will simply tell you that cast materials can't be welded.    This isn't true, they just don't have the training, and/or they don't want the headache of doing the work.

Hope this answers your question.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)