Antique Safes/mosler safe?

Question
safe image 1
safe image 1  
plate on safe
plate on safe  
QUESTION: While cleaning out an old store room in a shopping plaza, we came across an old safe that appears to be a Mosler. Did a bing search and could not find anything like this one but the hinge and door suggests a Mosler. What could you tell me about it? We want to sell it off and want an idea on where to start. Thanks!

Dave

ANSWER: David, you won't find searching Mosler because it is a Diebold.  Quite expensive when new but now they have become somewhat of a dinosaur.  Given the current condition you would pretty much have to give it away.  Does the lock work?  Are the 3 bolts rusted in the door?  If the answer is yes then you will probably have to pay to get someone to haul it away.  Doug

QUESTION: Everything appears to work although we don't know the combination of the tumbler. It is dirty and hasn't been cleaned yet but it appears the rust is surface rust. Would it be cost effective to take it in for recycling?

Answer
To verify the chest is worth saving, the combination must be determined and tried with the door open.  As long as the lock works and the bolts retract, there is hope.  This work should be done by someone familiar with these Diebold tri-bolt doors, as they are quite different than most locks.  I do have some locks and parts if you find  you need something.  Obviously the rust needs to be cleaned off. The lock and bolts should be removed to accomplish this.  So at this point you will have invested a couple hundred in time and money.  In working condition the chest is easily worth $1000 for the burglary protection it gives but you may find it slow in finding a buyer. Doug  

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen