Antique Safes/mosler screw door bank safe

Question
Andy,
You responded to my question earlier and said the serial number for my Mosler Screw Door Bank Safe should be on the hinge or handle as well as other locations. I have cleaned the hinges and handle and still cannot find the serial number, where else could I look?
         Thank you

Answer
Hi John,

I didn't say "should" as in "this is where you will find it".    I said should as in "these are locations I've found them".

Generally "IF" the serial number was put on the container, it was usually fairly easy to find, and it was usually "stamped" into the metal.   Either into the ball of the handle, possibly on the bolt work, etc.    I've also found serial numbers which were hand painted on the safes.

If you have been all over your container and haven't found a serial number, it may not have one.

Serial numbers were not used by safe companies, over 100 years ago, the way we use serial numbers today.   They simply used them to keep track of how many units were made, as well as what type of unit the container was.

companies today keep track of serial numbers more for warranty and/or recall issues than for the number of units manufactured.

With the relatively small number of screw door type safes that were made, it wouldn't surprise me that the maker didn't stamp serial numbers on them.    I looked at all the photos of cannonball and screw door chests that I have, and couldn't see anything that I would class as a serial number for the safe, though I did see numbers stamped in various locations on some of them.

All I can say is to look in every nook and cranny for it, however, I wouldn't waste a lot of time if it isn't obvious.    If you need it for trying to date the container.   These safes were made from around the mid 1890's through the 1920's.    Having an exact date isn't going to affect the value nearly as much as its condition will.    I would be more concerned with its condition.

Sorry I can't be of more help, unfortunately manufacturers like Mosler NEVER published listings of serial numbers and/or where they located them.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)