Antique Safes/Old ratner safe

Question
Ratner safe
Ratner safe  
Hi, would you be able to tell me roughly the weight of this safe? I am going to pick it up soon but am concerned I won't have the equipment to move it.
Many thanks

Answer
Hi Andy,

As you didn't give me any measurements to work from, all I can do is guestimate, based on the photo.

For reference:    Steel weighs about 42 lbs per square foot - 1" thick.    Concrete weighs about 150 lbs per cuft.    While these numbers can very slightly based on the actual material in use, it gives you a basis for calculations.

Figure each wall of your safe individually and then add the numbers together.    

Your container has a steel skin (inside and out) of 1/4" or less, thickness.    The interior insulation could be a number of different types of material, but generally it is something that does not transfer heat easily.   It could be sand, plaster of Paris mix, mortar, concrete etc., however if you use the numbers above regardless of the insulation material, it will still give you an estimated weight.

It does matter if your numbers seem a little "high" for the container, it is ALWAYS better to estimate high when dealing with weight.    You can't go back and estimate higher, after you are stuck half way up a flight of steps!!!

Based on the photo, I would estimate it to be around 800-1000 lbs (360 kg to 450 kg) - or - 1/2 ton.

Hope this helps you plan.

In general, if the weight of the safe is OVER about 300 lbs (135 kg), I don't recommend your doing it as a DIY project.    Remember GRAVITY is NOT your friend.    Weight can kill or injure relatively easily, and lots of weight can kill really quickly!!!!

Think safety - good luck.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)