Antique Safes/Old Safe in 1850 House

Question
Inside Door
Inside Door  

Front of Safe
Front of Safe  
We own a house built in 1850.  It has an old safe in it.  We were told by the previous owners that at one point a sheriff lived in the house and he had the safe put in.  We were wanting to learn more about the safe and its potential value.  Thanks.

Answer
Krista, very nice safe.  It's not from the 1850's, more like later 1800's.  MacNeale Urban was one of the big Cincinnati makers along with Diebold, Mosler and Hall.  The cast iron roping trim definitely adds value to the safe, easily doubling the value.  Careful removal of the black paint should reveal the fancy original paint if someone wants to restore it.  I would think it would readily sell for at least $1000.  Doug  

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen