Antique Safes/small vault

Question
smaller bank
smaller bank  
I have a weird little bank vault looking safe or? I was wondering what you would know of these I can not find any. I do not know the combo or how it works and I also do not know if anything is in it. I would assume not though. It comes from ohio.

Answer
Hi Edward,

You don't have a vault, and you really don't have a "safe", what you have is a Jewelers Chest.   This container was designed to be built inside of an exterior safe, either a fire resistive type safe, or even a bankers model.
This is what we term a "crane hinged, pressure bar" Jewelers Chest.  The weight of the door is supported by the crane hinge, and the pressure bar helps to shut the door so that the bolt work can be locked.

This would have been the "security container" inside of your safe.    These were NOT meant to be sold as a "stand alone" container.    Someone has salvaged it out of some other safe.

Based on the photo, it appears to be a Diebold Jewelers Chest (Diebold Safe & Lock Co., Canton, OH).   The dial should have a couple patent dates on it - from 1870 or 1871.   This isn't when it was build, its ONLY a reference to when the patents were issued for the lock.

The lock that I would expect to find on this door would be a Diebold, offset, four wheel combination lock.   It may be a Peerless Anti-dynamite type lock, but based on the dial, I wouldn't think so.    Probably just a standard 4 wheel lock.    With 4 wheels, this lock gives you a possible 100,000,000 possible test combinations.    Testing 500 each day would ONLY take you about 530 years to test them all.

The dialing sequence for this lock is:

5 times right to the first number,
4 times left to the second number,
3 times right to the third number,
2 times left to the fourth number,
1 time right until the dial stops (should be around 80).

Note:   Left is counter clockwise, Right is clockwise.   Do not count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

Basically your choices are to either test all of the combinations, until you find the correct one, OR to have it opened by a safe technician from a local safe company - not a locksmith.

Hope this helps.    If you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you are located zip code) and I'll see who I might know or recommend in your area.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)