Antique Safes/Tann Super Treasury

Hello Mr. Palmer,

I have successfully transported the Tann Super Treasury TST safe and am very excited about it. Research I have completed on the item has been revealing. It seems that the safe never did receive an actual UL rating from what I can see, only the Swedish V3 classification. Are you aware of whether this line of safe was ever tested by the Underwriters Laboratory?

Thank you,

Hi Matthew,

I was working for John Tann when the Super Treasury was introduced.  There were no testing standards in the UK at the time and we thought the fact that this safe was tested and certified in Sweden would be a good selling feature.  In fact it was quite the reverse.  The Swedish test was not recognised by UK insurers.  The same implied to the UL so I doubt they would have bothered with the expense of submitting it.  It was a lovely safe but a poor seller - this was due to the fact that it was too pretty.  The UK market was more used to safes with big lumpy hinges and a very butch look.  Buyers felt that it looked too much like a security cabinet rather than a safe and its appearance would not deter burglars.

It is a very good buy and it will probably outlive the both of us!

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer

I earn my living identifying safes and suggesting cash limits for risk advisors and insurance surveyors in the UK. I'm am pleased to comment on safes manufactured in the UK or Mainland Europe but I am unable to accept questions regarding safes made in the USA or elsewhere.

I have been in the UK safe industry for 40 years and have one of the largest archive databases of old safe literature and serial numbers in the country. I started with Chubb in 1960 and became Assistant Manager of their Bank Security Division before moving on to become the Insurance Liaison Manager with the John Tann Group. I became Sales & Marketing Director for Guardian Safes Limited before semi-retiring. I am a Fellow of the Security Institute and ex-Chairman of Eurosafe UK, a trade body representing the interests of UK safe makers and distributors. I now work as a part time consultant.

I am an advisor to the Safe Committee of the Association of Insurance Surveyors, a Fellow of the Security Institute and founding Chairman of Eurosafe UK.

I have had literally scores of articles published in various security trade publications. So far this year I have had 24 features published in various journals including Keyways, Professional Security, Pawnbroker and Safe India. I have published one book, Peckham Boy, the life and times of the world's greatest safe cracker.

No relevant educational credentials.

In 1997 I was awarded the annual shield by the Association of Insurance Surveyors for "..outstanding services to crime prevention"

I have represented or been an agent for the John Tann Group (Stratford, Ratner, Dreadnought and Tann safes); Churchill Safes, Chubb Safe Co Ltd, SLS Safes, SMP Safes, Dudley Safes and several others