Antique Safes/Yale Safe Door

Question
Yale #1
Yale #1  

Yale #2
Yale #2  
Question for you, I have come across a old building of mine that has a old 1835 Yale safe door (Images attached).  Just curious as to itís value and if itís a good find. I love the look and regardless it will be a great talking piece if I decide to make a safe room for my guns.

Answer
Hi Eugene,

FIRST question:    WHERE and more importantly HOW, did you come up with the 1835 date????
Linus Yale Sr., didn't start making locks until about 1840 and Linus Yale Jr. didn't introduce the combination style bank lock until 1862.    

SECOND Item,   While Yale did make a small line of safes, this is NOT one of them.

Based on the second photo, your safe is a MacNeale & Urban.    I would need more and much better photos to determine a possible date of manufacture and/or whether it was made in Cincinnati or Hamilton Ohio.   At ANY rate, to have this logo, the safe would have been made AFTER 1870.

Third item,   MacNeale & Urban never used Yale locks on their products, so chances are the original LETTERED dial has been replaced with this one.    Having the wrong dial on your safe significantly reduces its value.

Fourth item,  the safe has been painted over - possibly to hide the damage done when the lock was changed out.    MacNeale & Urban safes had beautiful graphics and art work, chances are some of it may still be beneath the current paint.    VERY carefully removing the existing paint may reveal the art work.    If necessary I may have some photo to give you some ideas of how it originally may have looked.

I would be more than happy to look at your safe, but will need MUCH better photos INCLUDING the lock and bolt work, to determine how much has been changed and/or how much damage was done.

In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work Ė I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance donít help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 12mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please donít send me ďcell phoneĒ photos, unless they are very clear and of sufficient resolution.   Also, please donít use online, internet photo drops as most of these also donít allow me to easily access the photos for examination.   Send the pics directly to me, while this may be more work for you, it will make my job easier.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)