Antique Safes/change key

Would you have a change key or put me in touch with someone who has one for a Mosler Model 282 Serial Nr. 18178-8 year 1966?

Thank you

Hi Marty,

I have know idea what a "model 282" is.   Change keys are based on the LOCK that is installed on a particular safe - NOT the safe.  

The serial number on the safe - indicates that it was safe #8 of lot number 18178.

Unfortunately as the manufacturer is out of business (2001) and as they never published any records of the safes, their serial numbers, combinations and/or locks installed, we have no way of cross referencing based on the serial number.

If you can't ID the lock on your safe, then I will need to see photos of the lock to try to ID it for you.    Once we know what lock you have, THEN we can see what change keys are available, and what the cost is.

I also have a hold harmless form that we require to be signed before we release the tools or instructions.   Changing combinations is NOT something we recommend as a DIY project for the same reason we don't recommend using locksmiths for most safe work.   Lack of knowledge, training and correct tools can easily result in a very expensive lockout.

Signing for the tool and instructions, basically states that YOU assume ALL responsibility and liability for use of or misuse and misinterpretation of the tool or instructions.    
While we may make these items available to you, we are NOT in the business of training you to use them correctly.

Please send me photos of the "LOCK", directly to me at:    so that I can see what you have.   This will also give me away to send you the hold harmless form that I will need signed.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada