Antique Safes/Drawer handle broken on Schwab Safe

Question
Andy, I have purchased and received December 18, 1980 a two-drawer safe from Schwab Safe Company, Inc. at Cannelton, Indiana.  The bill of lading says steel safe more than one inch wall.  It has a top drawer and a bottom drawer.  The safe opens by key at the right top of the top drawer, and locks by pushing in at the key lock.
I cannot give you the model number or serial number because it is located at the top left side of the top drawer which, today, I cannot open.  The door handle of that top drawer sprung and is now floppy loose, and now I cannot push up and pull out to open.
I use this safe daily and need what is in that top drawer.  The bottom drawer does open and close.  The safe is now unlocked, but I cannot open the top drawer.  I appreciate any suggestions and/or solutions you may have.  May 29,2015

Answer
Hi Danny,

Regardless of what the bill of lading calls it, if it has drawers, then it is NOT a safe, it is a filing cabinet.   Even if it has a safe lock installed, it is still a filing cabinet.   In your case, the container is a fire resistive filing cabinet with fairly thick walls.

The Schwab Safe Company was acquired by Sentry Group (Sentry Safes) in August of 2008.   I have no idea if any parts are available any longer for older Schwab equipment.

I may have a drawer handle in my parts, but I would have to see what you have to try to match it up.
These drawer handles were basically just inexpensive cast pot metal, which breaks easily and frequently.  

Basically the drive pin or lobe on the back side of the handle has probably sheared off, meaning you have no connection to the spring loaded latch bolts.

Chances are you are going to have to have a safe tech from a local safe company come out to open the container for you.    Once it is open, the drawer head can be removed to see what the extent of damage is.   If it can't be repaired, then you can send me photos so I can see if I have a handle.   

Sorry, but mechanical issues like this are hands on issues, which means you WILL need someone to come out to open and/or repair it.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)