Antique Safes/All the information I can get.

QUESTION: Hello Sir, I have a safe made by Diebold Safe and Lock Company. It has a tag on the front of the save with the #111976. On the tag it says, "Underwriters Laboratories Inc. with re-locking device gr. 1" then the serial number.

On the front of the safe it says on another tag, "Spec F1-D 12 56482 Safe Manufactures National Association Spec for 'fire Insulated Safe SMNA Rating 1hr Exposure. Cat #3316-c.

I have contacted Diebold and they couldn't help as they don't have the information as to when it was made, where or the story behind it.  Can  you help? Thanks you in advance for your help with this matter. I look forward to hearing from you...

ANSWER: Joe, "when it was made, where or the story behind it."  With a couple pictures I can give you an idea of when it was made.  The where is most likely Canton, OH.  Not exactly sure what you mean by "the story behind it"?  Doug

Front of safe
Front of safe  

Tag on front door
Tag on front door  
QUESTION: Thanks you sir, I am sending a couple of photos now. Story behind it was just where it was sold and when, just as much history behind it that I can find. Maybe some type of advertising for that model of safe and the like. Thank you so much for your help.

I have worked on quite a few of that model Diebold and still occasionally see them, so it is not at all rare.  It was made around the 1930's-early 40's.  As Diebold was already selling nationally by that time, I would have no clue where it was sold.  Unfortunately I don't have any Diebold advertising from that era, but I am sure there is some floating around somewhere.  Doug  

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen

This unusual and highly innovative safe from the later 1800's is a Corliss. William, the much younger brother of George Corliss of steam engine fame, spent several years perfecting this design and it was first displayed at the 1876 Philadelphia U.S. Centennial Exhibition. I do extensive patent research helping me in the study of antique U.S. safes and safe locks. Repairs and part making for antique U.S. safes of the early to mid 1800's, both key and combination. Also the study of early round door chest designs up to and including cannonball safes of the early 1900's.

40 years in the lock and safe trade with a stint in bank service work. Openings, repairs and moving of safes of all types.

Charter member Safe and Vault Technicians Association SAVTA, National Safemans Association NSO, National Antique Safe Association NASA. No longer current.

SAVTA monthly magazine

CMS (Certified Master Safecracker- NSO) and CPS (Certified Professional Safe Technician - SAVTA)

2nd place national combination manipulation contest 1986 and now in 2016 1st place