Antique Safes/Old fire safe

Question
overall
overall  

plate
plate  
A neighbor brought over this old safe. It is insulated so I am assuming it is a fire safe. The tumblers have been removed and there is a hole drilled in the bottom. There as a small plate riveted to the front that reads 'MILLER LOCK & SAFE CO.INK TRENTON N.J. PAT 1-7-36 NO. B17' So my neighbor was wondering what its value might be. I personally would like to learn some background on the company that made it? also would the insulation contain Asbestos? Thank you.

Answer
Hi Lextin,

I have no information of this company having been a manufacturer.   I am aware of the name of this company, however lots of smaller companies play themselves off as a manufacture though they actually do little more than put their name plate or logo on the container.

This doesn't mean that this company didn't make this container, I just have never found any substantial evidence to indicate that this company was a "real" safe manufacturer.

The number on the tag "Pat 1-7-36" is NOT a real patent number, though it may be a date.  

I've found a few other containers supposedly by this company that actually had a real patent number, that we can trace back, however there is no mention of this company in conjunction with any of the patents I've seen.

As far as your container goes, I would have to take a look at it to see if I can ID a possible maker.    I will need to see much better photos of the container - inside and out.

Send the pics to me at:     andy@securitysafeusa.com

As for the insulation, without knowing who might have made this container, I have no knowledge of is insulation material.    If you have a question concerning the possibility of asbestos, I would have the material tested.   This will eliminate speculation on your part or mine.

If you don't have a local testing agency, you can pick up a test kit at most hardware stores or on line at:   http://www.prolabinc.com/asbestos-test-kits.asp

sorry I can't offer more help at this time.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)