Antique Safes/old safe

front open
front open  
I recently was given this old safe.  It has been in a glass case at a short line railroad company for years.  No one know of its history.  I have been unsuccessful securing any information about the Paragon Safe company of New York via the internet.  Can you give me a clue of what type safe this is and how it may have been used. The key is missing.  I would like to find a replacement key for it if possible and would need some direction on how I might do that or locate Paragon Safe.

Brass Name Plate on front: "Paragon 1853 New York"
Any help you may give is greatly appreciated.

Hi David,

I've seen several of these safes - with this logo.   However you are correct, in that I've not been able to find ANYTHING about them as a manufacturer, which leads me to believe that the name may NOT be the name of the safe maker, as much as a "logo".    Similarly other companies have used names like "Gibraltar" or "Hercules" to make the consumer thing of STRONG, when they think of their safe.
I've not been able to find any listings for "Paragon" as a safe maker in any of the 1852 New York Business Directories, that I've been able to look at.

The word "Paragon" indicates "a person or thing regarded as a perfect example of a particular quality"!

During the 1840's through the 1860's the safe trade was EXTREMELY vigorous, with much competition.    Companies came and went based on the QUALITY of their product, so advertising one's safe as having or being the "perfect example of quality" for a fire resistive safe would be good advertising.

Unfortunately your safe is VERY similar to many of the "Salamander" style of safes that was prevelanant at this time.   One of the larger manufacturer's of safes built under the Wilder's patent from 1843 until 1852 - in New York - was Silas Herring.

During this time period, safes were more important for protection from fire, than from burglary or robbery.   If the building caught fire or burned, chances were that the ONLY thing you would have afterwards would be what ever was salvaged from the safe.

I'll have to do some more research on your safe to see if I can't find a safe maker that your safe is most similar to, but will need more photos.

In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.
If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 12mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos, unless they are very clear and of sufficient resolution.   Also, please don’t use online, internet photo drops as most of these also don’t allow me to easily access the photos for examination.   Send the pics directly to me, while this may be more work for you, it will make my job easier.

Please send all of the requested photos to:

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.

As far as finding a "replacement key" - good luck.    One will have to be made, and as stock has not been available in about 150+ years, even that will probably have to be made.    I do have photos of the key for a similar "Paragon" safe.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada