Antique Safes/What safe is this?

outer door view
outer door view  

inside door view
inside door view  
Being a locksmith (mainly domestic) my local pub asked me if I could source a key for their old safe.

It is a free standing safe on a concrete plinth measuring about 850x450x450mm (I can get exact measurments if needed).
There are no names on the front that I could find. The handle on the front appears to have had a name plate on it.
The door has a 3 way bolt work system with fixed bolts on door's 4th side.

I have managed to remove the internal lock mechanism which uses a double bit key and was  
mounted on a glass plate.
If you could identify the manufacturer it would help me source a new lock and key set.
The pub is about 30 years old and it appears the safe has been there most of that time.
I have include an external photo and can supply an inside one if it helps.

Hello Gordon,

This is a Stratford safe but I can't see enough of the front to determine the model.  I need two pictures; one with the door shut showing the entire front of the safe, and one with the door open showing the door thickness and boltwork.  If it is easier, they can be sent direct to

However, the lock is almost certainly a Kromer and a wholesaler like Aldridges should be able to provide suitable blanks.

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer

I earn my living identifying safes and suggesting cash limits for risk advisors and insurance surveyors in the UK. I'm am pleased to comment on safes manufactured in the UK or Mainland Europe but I am unable to accept questions regarding safes made in the USA or elsewhere.

I have been in the UK safe industry for 40 years and have one of the largest archive databases of old safe literature and serial numbers in the country. I started with Chubb in 1960 and became Assistant Manager of their Bank Security Division before moving on to become the Insurance Liaison Manager with the John Tann Group. I became Sales & Marketing Director for Guardian Safes Limited before semi-retiring. I am a Fellow of the Security Institute and ex-Chairman of Eurosafe UK, a trade body representing the interests of UK safe makers and distributors. I now work as a part time consultant.

I am an advisor to the Safe Committee of the Association of Insurance Surveyors, a Fellow of the Security Institute and founding Chairman of Eurosafe UK.

I have had literally scores of articles published in various security trade publications. So far this year I have had 24 features published in various journals including Keyways, Professional Security, Pawnbroker and Safe India. I have published one book, Peckham Boy, the life and times of the world's greatest safe cracker.

No relevant educational credentials.

In 1997 I was awarded the annual shield by the Association of Insurance Surveyors for "..outstanding services to crime prevention"

I have represented or been an agent for the John Tann Group (Stratford, Ratner, Dreadnought and Tann safes); Churchill Safes, Chubb Safe Co Ltd, SLS Safes, SMP Safes, Dudley Safes and several others