Antique Safes/Safe Box Halliday & Co.

Safe Box Halliday
Safe Box Halliday  
Hello! I'm studying a master degree in valuation in México. I'm doing this first exercise with a safe box. I thought "Halliday G.V.& Co", written in its door will be the name of the safe manufacters, but I can not find it.
Could you please give some clues about this beuty, so I can continue my research and share it with you when finished?

Thank you very much!

Sorry about my english
Congratulations about your expertise!!

Hi Leticia,

After doing some more research, I've discovered the following information about this company.

G. V. Halliday & Company, was basically a "general office supply company" doing business in St. Louis, Missouri during the 1870's.   Mr. Halliday decided to expand his business by opening a second location in New Orleans, LA in December 1878, in the business of selling safes, locks and office supplies.    As he was not present at this second location, Mr. George V. Halliday contracted a Mr. Henry F. Bridewell to represent him and manage his company at this location, to begin business in January of 1879.   The terms of the contract were continued through December of 1880 and then terminated.   It appears that sometime around 1882-83 Mr. Halliday sued Mr. Bridewell for a breach of contract and for taking monies not due him.   The case was completed in March of 1894 in Mr. Halliday's favor.

What we CAN learn from this law suit, is that this location was ONLY in business from January of 1879 until December of 1880 - a two year period time, during which at some time your safe was sold.    However we have no way of knowing if it was sold as a new safe or a used safe, though I would assume it was new as this company was not in the business of safe repairs or resale.

During the 1892 Diebold-Mosler-Damon Safe Company merger/trust attempt.   George V. Halliday was listed as a member of the Cincinnati Lock & Safe Company.

While this gives us a little more history for your safe, and we now know the years that it would have been sold, we still need to figure out who the actual maker is, and about when it was made.

Hope this helps a bit more.

I've found information that G.V. Halliday & Company were in business in St. Louis at least as early as 1860, so it is very foreseeable that the safe was purchased by this company and transferred TO the New Orleans office during the two years they were in operation, so your safe could easily be much older than the 1879-1880 dates in which it was sold.   One Lionel R. Locke was listed as a salesman for G.V. Halliday & Company in St. Louis during the 1860's.

Hi Leticia,

I have no records of any "manufacturer" by this name, chances are they were just a reseller or sales agent for the safe maker.

The safe appears to be from the Herring Safe Company  (Herring & Company), Philadelphia, PA, though I would need much better photos of the safe to try to confirm a maker, and possibly a year of manufacturer.

In order to answer questions, identify, evaluate or appraise the “current condition” of your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos (close-ups) should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 12mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please use a “jpeg” format, not a bitmap (bmp) image.   Also, I don’t like “website” photo dumps.   While it may be an easy place for you to store them, retrieving photos which allow me to zoom in to look at details, takes a lot of extra time.   Please send the requested photos directly to me.

Please send all of the requested photos to:

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada