Antique Safes/Safe Cabinet Laboratory: 2-drawer roll around

2-drawer cabinet
2-drawer cabinet  

inscription plate
inscription plate  
Have looked across the internet for a Safe Cabinet Laboratory 2-drawer image like this.  As yet, have not found one. Still in great shape with keys attached. Love the unique additional hand release on drawers. Love that it rolls on its casters like butter, given it's weight.

Add'l info: Besides brass inscription plate (photo attached), has another metal plate the reads "Built To Comply with Safe Manufacturers Association  Spec F2 - ND  SMMA Rating 1 HR"

Am wondering possible value?

Hi Sally

Glad you are happy with it - now for the bad news.

These containers were built during the 1930's through 1955.    They are not antique, nor are they collectible.
The SMNA Specification F2-ND only indicates that the container is a fire resistive FILE cabinet, for DOCUMENT storage only.   The classification D (1 hour rating) was current prior to 1962, but it is no longer valid.

Not only do these NOT have any value - this company was know to use asbestos as an insulation material, so you may not be able to sell it or dispose of it without paying HAZMAT fees.
Check your local and state regulations pertaining to your transporting, selling or disposing of HAZMAT items (specifically asbestos) to find out what your responsibilities are.

Container over 50 years old (which would include this one) DO NOT meet ANY current standard for fire resistance, and this container has NO burglary resistance.

If you are planning on using it, I don't have a problem with that.   I have a couple similar units - one that I use for ammo storage and one that I use for general purpose document storage.

As long as YOU realize the limitations of the container, and that it does NOT meet any current standards, you are okay.

As for selling it - with the HAZMAT requirements it may cost you more in fees than it is worth.   Not complying with the regulations can result in EXTREMELY stiff penalties, so I wouldn't recommend ignoring them, as it can come back to bite you even after you have sold it.

Sorry the news isn't better.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada