Antique Safes/Safe Combination Question

Question
Hello, I have a question for you. I just purchased a house with a J. Baum "A.J. Woodbury" safe in the basement. The safe is locked. When doing some painting in a closet I noticed some small print written in the corner of the closet and I believe its the combination, but its confusing. I will tell you exactly what is written, but I may need more detailed instructions on how to actually open it. this is what is written :

42 to R
       50 3 times to L
       2 Times to right to 5
       Left to 43

I tried to follow those, but failed. Does "to right" mean turn the dial clockwise? Hope you can help me. Thanks for your time. -Jacob

Answer
Hi Jacob,

The dialing sequence should be:

4 times right to the first number,  42
3 times left to the second number,  50
2 times right to the third number,  5
1 time left stopping the first time  43 comes up.    Turn handle to open

Note:   Left is counter clockwise, right is clockwise.    Do not count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

For instance for your first number, you will turn clockwise (right) stopping the fourth time the number 42 arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

"SOMETIMES", people pass on combinations the way that they understand them, and NOT actually the way the lock works.   If it doesn't open as above, then reverse the directions and try again - or - LRLR instead of RLRL.

If it still doesn't open then you may not have the correct combination.

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)